One Gospel. One Church. Four Locations.
Goodwill Church was founded nearly 300 years ago in Montgomery, NY. We are one church, with four locations in Montgomery (our main campus), New Paltz, Port Jervis, and Beacon. We have pastors at each location who all preach from the same text each week, with their own personal reflections and expressions. You can hear previous sermons from all four locations by clicking on sermons.
Evangelical Presbyterian Church
Goodwill Church is part of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) denomination. We are evangelical in our zeal for the Gospel, as well as evangelism, missions and living obediently as followers of Jesus. At the same time, we are rooted deeply in the Protestant Reformation and especially the theological and pastoral work of John Calvin. We embrace the Westminster Confession of Faith as our doctrinal standard and the rule of spiritually mature elders linked together regionally as the best way to guide local congregations.
Essentials of Our Faith
All Scripture is self-attesting and being Truth, requires our unreserved submission in all areas of life. The infallible Word of God, the sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, is a complete and unified witness to God's redemptive acts culminating in the incarnation of the Living Word, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the supreme and final authority on all matters on which it speaks. On this sure foundation we affirm these additional Essentials of our Faith:
- We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
- Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator.
- The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth, and seals us for the day of redemption.
- Being estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God's free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifies them in His sight. Only such as are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
- The true Church is composed of all persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
- Jesus Christ will come again to the earth-personally, visibly, and bodily-to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. "Even so, come, Lord Jesus." (Rev. 22:20)
- The Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to "Him who loved us and gave Himself for us." He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Eph. 2:10)
These Essentials are set forth in greater detail in the Westminster Confession of Faith.
We, in Communion with Jesus Christ, are a Community of friends and families who love and trust Him and passionately pursue the Christ-like Character essential to fulfill our Commission to change our lives and world for Him.
To be a fun, safe, comfortable place where God and more and more of His people in New York's Hudson Valley have the time and room they need to meet and get to know one another. We will pioneer opportunities to offer faith, strengthen relationships, develop leaders, and help others.
To be a hub for revival in the Northeastern United States and beyond.
We celebrate Communion on the first weekend each month. The Communion table is open to all those who trust in Christ alone for their salvation.
We have many ministries between our four locations.
Here are some of the categories they embody:
- Children/Youth Programs
- Choir/Worship Arts
- Community Outreach
- Marriage Ministry
- Men's Ministry
- Sports Ministry
- Women's Ministry
For more information regarding our ministries, call the church office at 845.457.5959 or fill out the form via the button below.